Why yes, this is the most basic and amazing cocktail I may have ever featured on My Style Vita. You see, I love a good #PSL, but never order them. They’re full of sugar, expensive and once you order one, you just keep going back week after week. I know this from experience, unfortunately. So I swore these off years ago to keep my ass not so big. But I figured if I am going to indulge in one of these, I should spike it, make it from scratch, oh and cover it in caramel sauce. Because, why not?
While browsing the internet trying to nail down a #PSL knock off syrup, I stumbled onto this recipe and decided to give it a try. Since it already had so much brown sugar in it, I removed the additional white sugar and also added a few extra classic pumpkin pie spices like nutmeg, clove and ginger. If you prefer things much sweeter, add in more sugar. But whenever I did order these at Starbucks, I would actually ask for just one or two pumps of PSL because the full serving is just way too sweet. This keeps in the fridge for about a week. Who knows if longer, I’m not really an expert in the field of food storage. But something tells me a week sounds reasonable.
Making these is so easy and turns your house into an instant red cup Starbucks heaven. If you’re lucky enough to have Cathead Vodka at your local package store, grab the Pumpkin Spice flavor because it’s basic bitch in a bottle. Add Kahlua, because no coffee cocktail should go without this, espresso, pumpkin syrup and milk. I was feeling extra gluttonous so I added whipped cream and caramel sauce. Go big or go home friends. You can get the full recipe below.
Photos and styling by Lady Flashback
- 1 1/2 oz vodka I used Cathead Pumpkin Spice Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 2 oz Pumpkin spice mixture
- 3 oz of coffee or two shots of espresso
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 c of water
- For the pumpkin spice mixture, add all ingredients to a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes and whisk.
- For the cocktail, add vodka, Kahlua and pumpkin mixture to a glass. Stir with a spoon/fork or a small whisk to combine. Top with coffee and steamed milk. Stir and top with whipped cream, cinnamon and caramel sauce.