The other night I joined my friend Hailey and her boyfriend at a nearby restaurant for a little night cap. I walked, which always makes me happy to do in a non-walking major city. And when I got there he asked us a question that I thought was such a smart conversation starter. And really just a fun way to learn new things about friends. It got us talking for a good bit trying to come up with a list. He asked, what are small things that spark joy for you? Like those little things that are kind of meaningless and happen kind of often, but still, make you happy or smile.
I loved this question because it really made you think about finding joy or happiness in even the smallest of things. Which could easily help turn a bad day around, that’s how small they are. I thought it would be fun to share a few that we came up with and that make us happy. But tell me, what little things that happen in your day spark joy?
10 Small Things That Spark Joy
The little things in life that truly spark a little smile on my face. Or make me feel a little happier or accomplished. I think it’s important to even look at little life tasks like laundry day or running to the grocery store and being able to find something that can make you happy.
1. When you order an appetizer to share and it’s the perfect amount so everyone gets the same. There’s nothing worse than having to split that last piece of flatbread down the middle. Everyone’s happier when they get their own piece!
2. That front row parking spot on a busy day at the store or mall. I call it “princess parking”.
3. When you go the cash register to buy something and they ring it up and it’s on sale but you had no idea. I wish this would happen all the time ha!
5. When it’s not too hot, not too cold, to sit outside at your favorite restaurant. That perfect patio weather, can’t beat it.
6. That post pool or beach nap after being out in the sun all day. It’s like the BEST nap of your life, right?
7. The first sleep after you put on fresh sheets. Pork usually screws this up for me, so it’s extra special when she doesn’t steal that first nap before I can go to bed in clean sheets.
8. When you come home from work or being gone all day to your very happy dog.
9. Turning on the TV and your favorite show is on without having to touch the remote.
10. Coffee in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday with nowhere to go, nothing to do but just sit and enjoy it. Preferably on my new beautiful patio.
Photo by Hannah Lozano