A few weeks ago I went to Ponce City Market and enjoyed a super yummy dinner at Bellina. It’s a little Italian restaurant that serves up pastas and salads in a stylish yet casual setting. I ordered a roasted root vegetable salad and devoured it instantly. It was so full of flavor and hearty grains from the faro. I absolutely loved it that I knew I had to try to recreate something similar at home.
On a recent trip to the farmers market, I picked up some colorful carrots, beets, kale and my favorite grain of all time, faro. That’s all I needed for this super easy salad. I roasted the vegetables until they were golden and tender and beginning to caramelize. Faro takes all of 10 minutes to make and adds a nice chewy texture to the salad. I threw this all on top of some chopped up kale and tossed it in a simple lemon, dijon vinaigrette. The flavors were incredible and I felt full after eating it thanks to the grains and loads of veggies.
Easily make this a full dinner meal by adding some roasted chicken on top or maybe even a nice piece of salmon. I love having salads like this in the fridge where I can assemble them as I want since I keep all the ingredients in their own separate containers. It makes for having healthy options on hand a breeze.
- 1 bunch of colorful carrots about 6-8 small carrots
- 1 bunch of beets
- 1 bunch of dinosaur kale
- 1 cup of faro
- Dijon Mustard
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice beets and cut carrots into bite size pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and lay out on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Add vegetables to the oven and cook until caramelized and tender.
- Cook faro according to package instructions.
- Chop kale
- Combine juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp of dijon mustard and 2-3 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once vegetables and faro have cooked, let cool slightly. Then toss everything together and serve.