- 1 Challah
- 6 Large eggs
- 3 Cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Packed brown sugar
- 1 Cup Pecans (about 3 oz.)
- 1/2 Stick plus 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups blueberries (about 12 oz.)
For The Syrup – optional but definitely an impressive addition
- 1 Cup Blueberries (about 6 oz.)
- 1/2 Cup Pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- The night before, butter a 13″ x 9″ baking dish
- Cut challah into large cubes and arrange in one layer in a baking dish
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla and 3/4c brown sugar. Pour evenly over bread.
- Chill mixture, covered, until all liquid is absorbed by bread, at least 8 hours, and up to 1 day. If you have the time or remember, turning the chunks of bread over to get fully absorbed is helpful, but not 100% necessary.
- The day of, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a shallow baking pan spread 1 cup pecans evenly and toast in middle of oven until fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Then toss pecans in sauce pan with 1 tsp butter and salt.
- Increase temperature to 400 F.
- Sprinkle pecans and two cups blueberries evenly over bread mixture.
- Take half stick of butter and melt in small sauce pan with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Drizzle butter mixture over bread and bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
For The Syrup
- In a small sauce pan cook 1 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup maple syrup until berries have burst (about 3 minutes).
- Pour syrup through a sieve pressing on solids.
- Stir in 1 tbs fresh lemon juice. …Syrup may be made a day ahead and chilled. Reheat syrup before serving.