10 Fun Things You May Not Know About Me

The other day I was doing my daily reading of the blogs (a morning ritual I’m loving again) and read a fun post that Karly of What Karly Said did. It was just 9 fun things about her. I always love reading these kinds of posts and seeing quirky things that people do that I would NEVER. But also vice versa, something unique that they do that I do too!  If you read her list, I’m totally opposite on the brushing of the hair (as in I only brush it when I first style it, then I’m done). But I’m also likely to tap the top of a soda can out of habit.

Since I’ve been blogging for over 7 years now and rarely get super personal, I thought this would be a fun post to write to share some unique things about me. I’d love to know what you have in common or are totally surprised about too.

10 Fun Things You May Not Know About Me

1. I always wash my hands as soon as I get home. I’m not OCD nor do I think my hands are filthy, but it’s something my Mom always did when we came home from the grocery store, school, errands, and it just stuck. I just kind of feel better once my hands are washed from being out and about for hours.
  2. I was a figure skater for nearly 7 years and practiced with Olympic silver medalist Tanith Belbin. She taught me her own routine for a fun Little Mermaid showcase I did when I was 8. I also practiced at the same arena in Portland Oregon that Tonya Harding trained at (we also had the same coach, different years obviously…)
  3. I’ll never understand the whole, I can’t wait to get home and have a glass of wine, thing. Alcohol makes me feel miserable, even just one glass will ruin my sleep.  Don’t get me wrong, I love to drink, but I’ll just never be that person who has a glass of wine at the end of the day by herself. But bring over the tequila because I’m either all in having a blast with friends or totally sober. There’s no in between! I’m also a sufferer of the drunk eyes. Anyone else? Two drinks in and it’s hot mess express.
  4. I used to be the treasurer of the Georgia State Wakeboard Club. It was the best little secret in the entire school. A wakeboard boat just 30 minutes west of the city and I had the keys to it along with just 2 other people. It was the best after school (sometimes even before school) activity. Thanks to this unique experience, I now dream of owning a boat one day. But honestly, I was pretty awful at it but being on the water makes me super happy.
  5. Secretly I wish Instagram would just go away. I miss reading blogs and it even has caused me to stop reading them like I once did religiously. It’s created a really awful comparison game and I know I’m not the only one suffering from it.
  6. I’m Italian, but I hate eating out Italian food. It’s rare to ever get me to go to an Italian restaurant. When you do, you know it must be good and nothing like the classic dishes my Mom used to make. When you grow up eating the real deal on Sundays, nothing compares!
  7. In college I cooked a chicken meatloaf and gave myself salmonella. Let’s just say it was the worst 12 hours of my life.  I was already a bit worrisome when it came to eating chicken and always checked to make sure it was really cooked, but that experience put me over the edge. Took me years before I ever cooked it again and it’s embarrassing how often I wash my hands in between the cooking process to prevent it from ever happening again.
  8. I’ve never been to Mexico. I talked about that here, but there’s just something about an all inclusive, and a risk of getting sick just from drinking water that has never appealed to me. I imagine I’d be like Charlotte in SATC eating pudding the entire time.
  9. Small dogs were never my thing. We grew up with GIANT dogs. As a kid, we had a 130lb golden retriever. As a teenager, we had two Leonbergers (one weighing in at nearly 200lbs). Small dogs were never on my radar. But Pork was technically an accident and a win in a breakup and I’m clearly in love!
  10. I love pineapple on my pizza and will never understand people who can’t see the beauty in the Hawaiian pizza salty and sweet combo. It’s the greatest pizza gift ever.  Well besides a veggie lovers pizza from Dominos at 3am ordered drunk via Twitter with an emoji, because that is the greatest gift of technology (and pizza) ever.

Any of these surprise you? Or that you totally align with? Let me know in the comments below.

PS I’m taking the rest of the week off from the blog as I’m in San Francisco this week for some meetings and a fun Pinterest event. You can keep up with all of my SF adventures on Instagram and Stories here.

30 Comments

1. Laura Leigh wrote:

Loved this Jess! A great way to kick off the week. I’m with you on the whole Instagram just going away thing. That would be great! And I love that you were in a wakeboard club. Wakeboard/wake surfing is my favorite! SO much fun! Loved getting to know more about you!

xo Laura Leigh

• Jessica wrote:

It’s my favorite place to be for sure! Love the lake life.

2. Sydney wrote:

Girl, SAME about the Italian food. I feel like I’m wasting my money (and calories) on crappy overcooked pasta and sauce when I can either make it myself at home or (even better) go to my mom’s and have her make it for me.

• Jessica wrote:

Always better when mom makes it!

3. Ashlee wrote:

All about pineapple on pizza! Pineapple, pepperoni, and fresh jalapeño … my go-to! Such a fun post, thanks for sharing!

Ashlee | http://www.cobaltchronicles.com

• Jessica wrote:

Oooh that sounds like a yummy combo!!!

4. Karly wrote:

Thanks for the shoutout, girl – I loved reading your own take on this! I’m the same about Mexico. It looks beautiful there but just doesn’t appeal to me for several reasons (water and safety primarily). I think we all agree about Instagram these days!

• Jessica wrote:

Yes the safety too! It’s crazy down there! Thanks for the inspiration on this post! xoxo

Posted 6.4.18 Reply
  5. I’d like to say I already knew all these things about you because duh, blogger BFF over here!

xoxo
    Cathy, your Poor Little It Girl

• Jessica wrote:

And I know you’re cringing at the fact that I NEVER brush my hair! ha!

6. Emily wrote:

I am so with you on the whole “glass of wine after work” thing. All of my colleagues talk about how they need their glass each night…I just long for a good workout and good night’s sleep. Glad I’m not the only one who either doesn’t drink or goes all in! Thanks for sharing today!

• Jessica wrote:

SAME! I’d much rather have a workout and 8 hours of great sleep over a cocktail anyday! But dont get me wrong, I love my boozy days with friends, but it’s gotta be worth it!

Posted 6.4.18 Reply
  7. These were fun to read! But, I’m totally different than you when it comes to pizza! I do not believe fruit or vegetables should EVER be on pizza! Why ruin a good thing!? : )

WHAAAT. It’s SO good!

• Blu wrote:

Veggies are AMAZING on pizza!!

8. Erica wrote:

Yo this made me legit LOL. First I definitely have drunk eyes…..worst thing ever that I inherited from my parents….because they both have them.. Hahah. Second…Hawaiian pizza is life! Third I also believe IG is the devil. I have a love hate relationship with it and it has caused me to stop reading blogs the way I used to except for a select few…..so I’m trying to get back to reading again!

• Jessica wrote:

Hahah all the drunk eyes, it’s SO bad. It happens even after 1 drink if I’m at all tired. And yay to reading blogs again! I’m trying to get better at it too.

9. Brittany wrote:

Love this post & learning more about you! So fun.
    #3 – ditto on the drunk eyes over here! I got called “pirate-eye” by co-workers in college A LOT. lol
    #4 – so jealous of your wakeboard club! I wakeboard & would have died to do that after class!

-Brittany | pointed-north.com

• Jessica wrote:

We need to figure out how to fix the drunk eyes. I sometimes just put on sunglasses, but that doesn’t always work at night ha!

10. I also love pineapple on my pizza! Great post dear
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath

11. Blu wrote:

I totally feel you about Instagram! I lowkey/high key wish I could only follow peoples’ instastories instead. lol

My second dog, Phat, picked me in the break-up 🙂

Blu

http://www.liveloveblu.com – wellness & healthy living

• Jessica wrote:

YES to gaining the dogs in the break ups ha!

12. Rachel wrote:

I’ve had salmonella too and it was AWFUL! I’d rather over cook my chicken and dunk it in bbq sauce or ranch to combat the dryness. As for Mexico, I kinda get it but the beaches, man! I’ve been numerous times and have only had an issue once. Not even the Mexicans drink the water, so everywhere you go has bottled water and ice delivered from a filtered water company.

• Jessica wrote:

Always over cook it now too ha!

Posted 6.4.18 Reply
  13. Omg I tell everyone who will listen that I wish Instagram would just disappear one day! I still read my favorite blogs, and try to discover new-to-me-blogs. I’m always impressed when people still put most of their effort into their blogs, so I love supporting.

Also, I’m the same with alcohol. I never crave wine after a long day….it’s usually my bed;)

This was a great post, Jessica!

The Champagne Edit

• Jessica wrote:

Thanks for reading along Dana!! And who doesn’t want to go straight to bed after a long day??!

Posted 6.5.18 Reply
  14. Elizabeth wrote:

I love personal posts like this! I feel ya on the whole Insta thing — especially since with the rise of social media and non-chronical feeds, some blogs can feel a little… commercialized.

I can NOT relate with Hawaiian pizza, though! Pineapples are meant for tropical drinks, not red sauce and cheese, hah!

Elizabeth

Posted 6.9.18 Reply
    • Jessica wrote:

Agreed on Insta all the way lady! And I’m sorry you can’t get on board with the pineapple, you’re missing out!! ha!

Posted 6.9.18 Reply

Lately on Instagram @mystylevita

Sign up below to get exclusive content, newsletters and daily posts!

Plus, get my vacation ready outfit ideas when you sign up!