The other day I was doing my daily reading of the blogs (a morning ritual I’m loving again) and read a fun post that Karly of What Karly Said did. It was just 9 fun things about her. I always love reading these kinds of posts and seeing quirky things that people do that I would NEVER. But also vice versa, something unique that they do that I do too! If you read her list, I’m totally opposite on the brushing of the hair (as in I only brush it when I first style it, then I’m done). But I’m also likely to tap the top of a soda can out of habit.
Since I’ve been blogging for over 7 years now and rarely get super personal, I thought this would be a fun post to write to share some unique things about me. I’d love to know what you have in common or are totally surprised about too.
10 Fun Things You May Not Know About Me
- I always wash my hands as soon as I get home. I’m not OCD nor do I think my hands are filthy, but it’s something my Mom always did when we came home from the grocery store, school, errands, and it just stuck. I just kind of feel better once my hands are washed from being out and about for hours.
- I was a figure skater for nearly 7 years and practiced with Olympic silver medalist Tanith Belbin. She taught me her own routine for a fun Little Mermaid showcase I did when I was 8. I also practiced at the same arena in Portland Oregon that Tonya Harding trained at (we also had the same coach, different years obviously…)
- I’ll never understand the whole, I can’t wait to get home and have a glass of wine, thing. Alcohol makes me feel miserable, even just one glass will ruin my sleep. Don’t get me wrong, I love to drink, but I’ll just never be that person who has a glass of wine at the end of the day by herself. But bring over the tequila because I’m either all in having a blast with friends or totally sober. There’s no in between! I’m also a sufferer of the drunk eyes. Anyone else? Two drinks in and it’s hot mess express.
- I used to be the treasurer of the Georgia State Wakeboard Club. It was the best little secret in the entire school. A wakeboard boat just 30 minutes west of the city and I had the keys to it along with just 2 other people. It was the best after school (sometimes even before school) activity. Thanks to this unique experience, I now dream of owning a boat one day. But honestly, I was pretty awful at it but being on the water makes me super happy.
- Secretly I wish Instagram would just go away. I miss reading blogs and it even has caused me to stop reading them like I once did religiously. It’s created a really awful comparison game and I know I’m not the only one suffering from it.
- I’m Italian, but I hate eating out Italian food. It’s rare to ever get me to go to an Italian restaurant. When you do, you know it must be good and nothing like the classic dishes my Mom used to make. When you grow up eating the real deal on Sundays, nothing compares!
- In college I cooked a chicken meatloaf and gave myself salmonella. Let’s just say it was the worst 12 hours of my life. I was already a bit worrisome when it came to eating chicken and always checked to make sure it was really cooked, but that experience put me over the edge. Took me years before I ever cooked it again and it’s embarrassing how often I wash my hands in between the cooking process to prevent it from ever happening again.
- I’ve never been to Mexico. I talked about that here, but there’s just something about an all inclusive, and a risk of getting sick just from drinking water that has never appealed to me. I imagine I’d be like Charlotte in SATC eating pudding the entire time.
- Small dogs were never my thing. We grew up with GIANT dogs. As a kid, we had a 130lb golden retriever. As a teenager, we had two Leonbergers (one weighing in at nearly 200lbs). Small dogs were never on my radar. But Pork was technically an accident and a win in a breakup and I’m clearly in love!
- I love pineapple on my pizza and will never understand people who can’t see the beauty in the Hawaiian pizza salty and sweet combo. It’s the greatest pizza gift ever. Well besides a veggie lovers pizza from Dominos at 3am ordered drunk via Twitter with an emoji, because that is the greatest gift of technology (and pizza) ever.
Any of these surprise you? Or that you totally align with? Let me know in the comments below.
PS I’m taking the rest of the week off from the blog as I’m in San Francisco this week for some meetings and a fun Pinterest event. You can keep up with all of my SF adventures on Instagram and Stories here.