One of the things I miss most about long hair is being able to easily throw it all up in a big messy bun on top of my head. It was my go to for dirty hair, lazy days and really an instant updo that looked like I put in some sort of effort if done well. With short hair, I’ve had to embrace the half top knot. And to be honest, I don’t wear this enough! It’s so easy and cute and really is a fun update to my everyday waves. Some people have a hard time creating a perfect messy bun so I’m hoping these steps will help. All you need is your trusty hair tie. So here’s how to do a half top knot for short or even long hair!
1. First, start with beachy waves (you can see my tutorial for my everyday waves here). You don’t HAVE to do waves, but I think it adds to the texture and overall look of this style.
2. Pull the front section of your hair back pulling from the sides of your forehead (do not go too far over!) and back before you hit the crown of your head. You don’t want to pull it so far back as the knot needs to truly be on top of your head. You’re essentially grabbing a big square section.
3. Grab your hair tie and tie it around the section once pulling the hair all the way through.
4. Next, take the section and pull it through the hair tie again but only 2/3 of the way.
5. Twist the hair tie (leaving that 1/3 section still out) and tie it around the 2/3 section to create the messy knot. Twist around once more if you have slack in the hair tie and continue to create lumps/messiness. The messier the better!
SHOP MY FAVORITE HAIR PRODUCTS
See all hair tutorials here!
Photos by JNelly