I’ve seen on instagram those acai bowls that everyone seems to devour in California. Over here in the dirty South, we don’t have much of a health craze happening. I can find some great BBQ or fried chicken, but smoothie bowls? Nah. We’ve got a few great juice places, but that’s about it. Instead of searching for this bowl of goodness, I decided to whip up my own. I already make a smoothie every so often when I’m in a rush, or feel like drinking dinner, so I knew I could handle the challenge.
These smoothie bowls are easy to make and you can easily work in your favorite flavors. My standard smoothie recipe is below and it’s exactly what I used for the smoothie bowl. You can add some yogurt or increase the ratio of frozen fruit to almond milk to make it a little thicker, but that’s just a preference. I topped mine with sliced strawberries and bananas, shredded coconut and my newest breakfast obsession, KIND raspberry cluster granola. A drizzle of honey and you’re ready to eat!
- Smoothie Ingredients
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 3/4 cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of egg whites - if you don't like egg whites, just use a whole cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- handful of spinach or any other green you like
- Sliced berries and bananas
- Shredded coconut
- KIND granola
- Mix all of the smoothie ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.