After the WWD (well unless you have a subscription you saw the recap on Who What Wear) I think it came to a shock for many that some of their favorite fashion bloggers are now millionaires and some younger than the reader even is.
When I was a new blogger, I started this whole thing to build a writing portfolio. A writer at heart with a dream to be a journalist, I quickly learned that maybe I could combine my writing with photographs and still make some sort of living. I had no clue what was out there, but 3 years in and lots of lessons learned, yes you can make quite a bit of money off of a blog, and let me tell you how.
*This is in general what the majority of your big time bloggers are doing. There are definitely some out there doing it differently, but for the basis of this article, this is pretty spot on and answers the question I get so often “wait you make money off of your blog?”, why yes, yes I do. And those big timers, are yes, making millions.
1. Affiliate Links – The WWD article was all about the revenue that bloggers are bringing in through rewardStyle. rS is one of the most effective ways to monetize your blog. To get down to the basics, let me explain first what an affiliate link is. All the links you see under any outfit post, on a shop page, etc are affiliate links. For the most part, these are rS links which means if you click on them, the blogger will NOT make money. You read that right. The type of affiliate network that you think generates revenue on clicks would be called pay per click. rS doesn’t work like that. If however, you go to the site and end up buying something, anything from that site, said blogger will make an affiliate commission off of this. That affiliate commission can range from 5-20% of the total sale. Also, if you click on something, do something else for a few hours or days, then head back to the same shopping site and make any purchase, guess what, blogger makes an affiliate commission thanks to the genius workings of cookies (mmmm cookies). Back to blogging guys. It doesn’t surprise me one bit that many of the top bloggers are bringing in close to or more than 7 figures. If I take my current page views and the amount of money I’ve made through rS and compare it to their page views, pretty spot on.
2. Sponsored Posts – Guess what folks, blogs are the new magazine, the new billboard and the great thing about them is that it’s instant. No waiting for the clothing to hit stores from the magazine, no waiting to get home to search for that thing you saw on a billboard or commercial, it’s right there, ready to click. This means that sponsored posts with a blogger with large page view numbers can negotiate BIG dollars for this revenue source. The return on investment (ROI) is huge and with the tools we have now, you can very easily calculate your ROI when partnering with bloggers for your brand or product.
3. Events – Just like Kim K gets paid for appearances, bloggers do too. With a following comes a demand for you to tell your followers to come to something. This really requires you to have a decent size following and an influence in your community. Harder to judge your ROI here, but easy to do so if the event is a total dud.
4. Other Projects – From their own clothing lines, capsule collections, collaborations with other brands and so on, the list goes on for the ways you can generate revenue.
5. Fill Ads – See my sidebar? There are some advertisements on there. Not sponsors, advertisements. These are filled based on people coming to the site. The more people who come, the more ads that get shown, the more money the blogger will make. This is very similar to TV advertising and is another great source of revenue for bloggers. Literally make money doing nothing.
You’re probably thinking now though, why don’t all bloggers just work full time blogging? All of the above revenue streams have one common denominator in being successful, page views. A pageview is defined as, and to be quite literal thanks to Google, the instance of an internet user visiting a particular page on a particular website. So you’re currently reading this page, if you click to another page, that’s 1 more page view. And so on. So the more page views you have, the more fill ads come through, the more chances you have of people clicking on affiliate links and buying things and so on. Pageviews means power in the business of blogging. Yes there are other factors like having a great voice, interactive audience, style, fantastic content and so on. But these typically go hand in hand with page views.
So there you have it, the secrets to being a millionaire blogger. Pageviews and affiliate links. You’re welcome.