I’ve been working inside this box cubicle for over a year or so now and there’s some things I quickly learned and some things I just discovered that thought I’d share. The list I’ve come up with are my cubicle staples to staying chic and classic. Keep these stored at your desk for emergencies (fashion ones included) and some things may already be in your supply closet ready to use. Do you have any great tips that are a must at your desk? Fill us in on them!
1. Dropped Hem – Nothing a stapler can’t fix for the day. If it’s a black dress pant and you can see the silver staple, use your sharpie to make it less noticeable.
2. Too much cleavage or bra strap? – Double stick tape. I used this trick on this outfit the other day when I noticed the girls were having too much fun that day. Keeps you looking professional. Remove the tape for happy hour fun!
3. Thank You Notes – Pick some up in the dollar store and keep at your desk. It’s more personal than an email and is always appreciated. Something hand written will always be remembered. I have a slew of these pinned at my cubicle that I have received from my superiors. It’s a nice reminder of the time they took to write one.
4. Sneakers - If you don’t live in NYC you’re probably wondering, what the hell do I need sneakers for. Well it’s simple, get your ass off your chair and take a hike walk. Set a reminder in your calendar for a daily 10 minute walk. You’ll feel refreshed and focused. It’s like drinking a shot of espresso but it’s free and you get fresh air.
5. Shiny Face?! – Toilet seat covers. I saw this tip here and thought, GENIUS! Removes excess oil in a snap.
6. Earring 911 – Ever have the back of an earring disappear and you’re afraid you’re going to lose the earring? Use the eraser of a pencil as the back to make sure it stays on.
7. Hunger Pains - I’m a big fan of bringing my own lunch and snacks for the day. It’s actually a bit embarrassing lugging my huge lunchbox but it keeps me on track with eating right and I save a ton of money. Sometimes though I underestimate how hungry I may be or forget to pack a lunch all together. Having Larabars at my desk is a filling treat that I don’t have to feel guilty about. My personal favorite flavor is Ginger Snap and Key Lime Pie. Buy them in bulk when they go on sale, it’s worth it.
8. Smelling Fresh – Whether you forgot to put some on or are realizing it’s wearing off after your short stroll around the building, having a small stick of deodorant at your desk can be a life saver not only for you but your cube mates. Go the extra mile and keep a travel size bottle of perfume at your desk. But my tip is to stay under the radar with scents at work. No one likes to smell you from across the room, no matter how much you think they’ll love your new Kim Kardashian perfume.
9. Double Duty Paper Clips – Fix a hem, broken necklace clasp or even de-clump your mascara with a paper clip.
10. Shit In Your Teeth - Not sure how else to put that one, but we all have found ourselves with something in our teeth at one point or another and I have several tips on how to fix it. If you don’t keep floss-picks at your desk you should. But if you don’t, no worries. We can get those poppy seeds out of your teeth no problem. Use your business card to assist or even a post it can do the trick.